Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Twin Axe Attack..in pure Maiden fashion!

It could have been brevity that had drawn up the boundaries of my recent Iron Maiden post. You see, I was not supposed to cut it short and move this new piece here. But I did.  Either way, this here is an entirely different  matter and merits more space. 

I'm in no writing fury. I'm not a writer as well. It's just that I have spent more than half of my life listening to and contemplating on anything musically 'heavy'. And thinking about Iron Maiden always, always gets me treading to the twin axe attack they popularized.

There is not one shadow of doubt that they popularized the twin lead guitar attack. This piece of information is never disregarded when there's some Maiden talk goin' on. I even surmise that Metallica, after being years of the legend they are, tried this approach on the solo of The Day That Never Comes off their Death Magnetic album. It could be their mecca in a way, trying to revisit stuff they liked and how things were done during their time. 


This ain't no breaking news, this twin lead guitar approach. Well at least not to metal fans. But for me personally, its not what gets me off in an Iron Maiden song. It's the feel of the attack itself when they're ripping leads. Case in point, the solo on Holy Smoke. That second one by Dave Murray, that's exactly what i'm talkin' about. You can hear 'technically-gifted' guitarists these days sweep scales not from this planet and just leave you baffled in a way, like nothing important just took place. But listen to that simple blues box from Holy Smoke and it just melts your face right off the bat. 


Grab your air guitar and smash everything in your room!




0 comments:

Post a Comment